Wednesday, June 13, 2012

State of Origin

The stadiums are sold out. The crowds roar with excitment, joy, and anticipation- they are painted and flag waving. The Maroons vs. Blues. Queensland vs. New South Wales. It's Australian Rugby Leagues most popular event- it is the State of Origin!

Ok, I am actually just watching this on the tellie in my friends' apartment in the next building over. I don't understand rugby- league or union- well if at all. (What knowledge I have gained is due to the patient repetitions of my friend Anthony about what is going on and answering my very odd questions)

Rugby enthusiasts forgive me in my explanation. Rugby is a very athletic sport where you can only pass the ball behind you (or throw backwards) while your team is trying to run the ball down the field to score. While doing this your opponent is trying to tackle you. They don't where much padding and many opt out of a helmet. These are big tough blokes.

The State of Origin is a best-two-of-three series between the Australian State of Queensland and the State of New South Wales. The teams are made up of players based on which state they started their professional career in. The rivalry is fierce!
Image Source: footygear.com.au

The Queenslanders are decked out in Marroon and advertising their state's beer XXXX. New South Wales wears Blue and advertises Victoria Bitters.

In the first game, held in Brisbane or Brizy, Queensland won handily.

In this close second game- or what to me looked close based on the actions of the players- New South Wales won. Tying the series up and leaving the passionate Queenslanders hungry in anticipation for the next and deciding game!


No comments:

Post a Comment